You may never have thought of it before, but there could be a time when you need the services of a professional valuer. It could be for business. Or it could be personal. You may be getting divorced, and need to determine the value of your assets. Or perhaps you need a valuation for expropriation compensation. Whatever it may be, you want it done right.

To make sure that this important financial area is dealt with professionally, the SACPVP (South African Council for the Property Valuers Profession or Council for the Built Environment) was established in 2000.

According to their official website, the SACPVP describes itself as follows:

“SACPVP sees itself in partnership with the State and the valuers profession to promote a high level of education and training of practitioners in the Property Valuers Profession so as to facilitate full recognition of professionalism in the valuers profession, both locally and abroad. It enjoys full autonomy – although it is accountable to the State, the profession and the public for the fair and transparent administration of its business in the pursuit of its goals.”

However, despite a strict code of conduct, things can go wrong.

If you feel that your matter has been dealt with in an unprofessional or improper manner, then you may approach the SACPVP and lodge a formal grievance.

There are some important things to note when doing so.

  • Any person or company can lodge a complaint against a registered person. This includes a Professional Valuer, Associate Valuer, Candidate Valuer or Single Residential Property Assessor.
  • This written complaint must be signed by a Commissioner of Oaths.
  • You will need the original – signed – Complaint Form. And you’ll need to give evidence and supporting information to make your complaint clear. This can include:
    • Details of the exact omission or act of improper conduct.
    • Details of witnesses who can provide evidence of your complaint.
    • You may also be asked to help the investigating committee with gaining material information. Or you may stand before the disciplinary tribunal.
  • The Council will investigate all complaints of improper conduct. If necessary they will take disciplinary action against them.

It’s worth noting here that the Council does not get involved in debt collection. So, if your grievance includes a financial loss, that will have to be taken up through legal channels. The Council does not, itself, value properties.

The Council can only attend to a grievance if the party is registered with the SACPVP. So it’s important to ask the question when employing the services of a valuer. Make sure that they are registered professionals. If they are not, you may find that your recourse is limited if things go wrong.

The Council does not tolerate derogatory or offensive statements. This includes unproven accusations. So in order for your grievance to be taken seriously – and dealt with professionally – you must stick to the facts. Emotion and exaggeration play no part in this process.

This is a lengthy process, and it takes time to sift through all the facts. Be sure that your complaint is a valid one. It’s always good practice to talk openly with your professional valuer during the process. This may remove any problems early on, and prevent you from going down this route at all.

The Property Partnership enjoys many decades of combined experience, and we pride ourselves on our professional conduct. We are registered with SACPVP.

Call us on 0860 999 440 or visit for all your property valuation requirements.